A married couple who are seeking a quick and easier way to get a divorce may choose the method of summary dissolution instead of proceeding with the normal dissolution process. With a summary dissolution, there is no trial or hearing, so you will not have to talk to a judge. However, not everyone may qualify for a summary dissolution and to qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Have been married for less than 5 years (from the date you got married to the date you separated);
  • Have no children together born or adopted before or during the marriage (and you are not expecting a new child now);
  • Do not own any part of land or buildings;
  • Do not rent any land or buildings (except for where you now live, as long as you do not have a 1-year lease or option to buy);
  • Do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since the date you got married (called “community obligations”)
  • Have less than $41,000 worth of property acquired during the married (called “community property”)
  • Do not have separate property worth more than $41,000;
  • Agree that neither spouse will ever get spousal support; AND
  • Have signed an agreement that dives your property (including your cars) and debts.

If you feel that summary dissolution is right for you, we can evaluate your case to see whether you may qualify for summary dissolution and assist you in the process. Please call the Zhou Law Group, APC, where we offer a free half hour consultation, where we are supportive in any decision that you make, and will act to protect your rights. Please contact our office at (408) 289-9688 and visit our website at www.sanjoseattorneys.com.